BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND YouTube Layouts »

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Someone Has A Plan For Us

Wow, has it really only been a few days shy of 3 weeks since my precious little Baby Eddie was put on my chest and I looked into his beautiful, almond shaped eyes?  It's been a crazy and emotional couple weeks, probably the most emotionally trying days of my life.  And this is just the beginning of our journey.  Maybe I should start at the beginning....if only I knew where the that was.  Sure I do, the beginning of this particular journey that we have been chosen for started November 18th 2011 at 8:40 am.  The moment Baby Eddie breathed his first breathe.  After pushing all of one time (!!!!!) I was told that my baby was here! Really, one push? The nurse put him on my chest, umbilical cord still attached, goop and all and I immediately cried tears of wonder and joy.  He was perfect, so beautiful, so different than I imagined.  I had pictured a clone of his big brother, instead I got a gorgeous, fair skinned, light hair and light eyed angel.  Just as precious and perfect as his big brother.  He layed there on my chest, we nursed and cuddled for almost 2 hours before they finally took him to be weighed.  It was a miracle.  I will never forget having that precious bonding time with him.  I remember Daddy wondering "But, what does he weigh?" He was so eager to send out the text message with all the stats to all our friends and family.  Such a proud Daddy.  After that things just seemed to go sort of off track.  Daddy went home to get baby brother and bring him back to meet Baby Eddie, in the mean time it was just  Mama and Baby in the hospital room.  That's when the pediatrician came in to check on him.  I think I may have to take you on a trip back in time now, I didn't want to go there, but I think for this story to make sense I will have to.

Rewind to me pregnant about 13 weeks getting a sonogram, a sonogram that we got the same time for Dominick when they told us he was a boy.  That's what I was looking forward to, finding out if we were going to be blessed with another boy.  What I didn't really fully understand at the time was this particular sonogram was looking for signs of anything abnormal with the baby.  The NT scan.  I wasn't even really thinking along those lines, not until the tech said she saw a few "soft markers" for Down Syndrome.  She said the back of his neck, the nuchal fold, was thickened.  There was also a spot on his heart and his kidneys looked to be retaining more fluid.  I have to admit I was in total denial at this point.  We talked to the dr about our odds, I don't even remember what they were, only that they also took a blood test to give me a better picture of what our odds were.  After waiting  a few days for the blood results the dr called and gave me the odds, I don't remember what they were.  I was only focusing on one number.  He told me that based on my blood work, which came back great, along with the NT scan my chances of having a totally normal baby was 97%.  Those were some awesome odds, everything else he said I just didn't want to hear.  I was looking at that 97% as if it were a sure thing.    We went for a level II sonogram a few weeks later and there were no more markers, the kidneys looked good and we were sent to a cardiologist for the spot on the heart.  We got nothing but positive feedback from every dr we saw.  They all said everything looked great and they were nearly positive my baby would be perfectly healthy.  I spent the rest of my pregnancy convinced that they were right, even tho there was a slight chance that something could be wrong, the bigger odds were that all would be fine.  The blood work ruled out 2 out of 3 possible chromosonal disorders, the only one we had to worry about now was Down Syndrome.  The other 2 were described as really awful, I don't remember what they were called, but I was happy that they were ruled out nonetheless.  I didn't tell anyone about what I was going thru with these tests because I refused to believe that anything could possibly be wrong with my perfect little boy.  I decided I would focus on the positive, and hope that the drs were right and all would be fine.

Ok, now back to the future.  Baby Eddie and I are in the hospital room, waiting for Dada and Big Brother anxiously, when our pediatrician comes in to give Baby his first check-up.  She isn't our regular dr, just one from our practice who is doing the rounds that day.  So, when she brought up that she noticed the chance for Down Syndrome in our chart I sort of got annoyed at her.  Wait, who are YOU? Why are you even bringing this up right now?  I didn't say that, I just kind of shrugged her off - she said she would give him an exam and look for signs.  When she was done she said she saw a couple things that could point to DS.  His eyes were almond shaped (SO WHAT?)  He has a space between his toes (YEAH? SO, are YOUR toes perfect!!?) she mentioned something else that I just honestly did not hear.  I was at this point STILL in denial.  These things to me seemed completely unrelated to anything. So what if he has almond shaped eyes?  Seems so silly.  She even mentioned something about a blood test to get a definite diagnosis.  Again, I shrugged her off.  I sent her on her way and picked up my Baby Bundle, looked him over and decided she was wrong.  He was perfect.  He was beautiful.  I can't tell you how long I sat there looking at my sweet baby.  Then I hear something in the hall - it's big brother! YAY they're here!!  I completely forget about what the doctor said or that she was even ever here.  We introduce Baby Eddie to Dominick, I've envisioned this moment a hundred times.  Dominick's first reaction was "OOOH Boogie Bulb", which was in the baby's bassinet, he didn't even see the baby.  Ha.  Too funny.  We snap some pictures and ooh and aah at Baby and Big Brother.  We get a couple visitors.  Everything is perfect.  All the while Baby Eddie is sleeping.  He finally wakes up and Daddy is sitting with me when he says " I dunno hon, there's something with his eyes"  I immediately tense up.  What am I not seeing?  This is when I remember, Oh, yeah, the dr was in here.  I tell him that she mentioned that and that it could be a sign of DS.  Naturally, he was upset.  Why hadn't I told him earlier?? Why did he have to say something to be told such an important message?  I couldn't answer him.  I just didn't even want to consider it, I put it as far in the back of my mind as I could.  Then when he said that I realized "Shoot, maybe I should have told him this earlier!"  Ok, this is when things started getting very crazy for me.  Of course by this time the dr was gone and we had all these questions, well, not we, but Steve did.  I'm still not accepting this as a possibility.  Dominick and Daddy go home for nap leaving me with the Baby.  Honestly, I am not even sure what happened when at this point.  I know we were supposed to leave the next day, Saturday, at 11.  But when they take his biliruben (jaundice) levels it's too high for discharge and we have to now wait to be tested again at 6 pm.  In the mean time they give him a hearing test, which he fails.  Twice.  This is just all too much for me.  I am about to explode.  What is going on? Can my baby not hear me? Is he jaundice? Does he have.... no, this one I can't even bare to ask myself.  When the nurse comes in to tell me the dr wants me to wait for another biliruben test that evening I ask her if I could possibly speak to the dr again.  I want to ask her about the blood test, when it can be done, how long do the results take....The nurse tells me that the dr will tell me to call the office on Monday and is there anything she can answer....I reluctantly tell her my DS blood test question and say the dr said she saw a few signs of DS.  Then she tells me that she, the dr and the other nurses were discussing it (WHAT THE F!) and took notice of the signs too.  The signs that I am still to this day blind to.  How dare she and these other nurses be looking at my baby and making such accusations! I was so upset.  The nurse tells me that the blood test for DS is not taken at birth, but later on when the baby puts on some more weight to be able to withstand it.  I take her at her word, tell Steve what she says and we decide to wait and talk to our regular pediatrician Monday at his 2 day checkup.  Sheesh, I've been in the hospital for just one day and I am so ready to just go home.  Dominick is having trouble sleeping without me and I just want to go home and be a family of 4 already!!  Now, finally 6pm rolls around and the nurse takes my baby for his 2nd biliruben test.  It comes back just slightly out of the risky zone and the nurse tells me to start packing!  I text Steve to come get us!  I'm so excited to get the hell out of that place.   I go into the bathroom to start changing and she comes back in saying "I hope you haven't called your husband yet"  The dr wants to keep baby overnight and check his levels again in the morning.  Um, NO!  We are leaving.  I call Steve and first thing I hear is Dominick in the background singing "Mama, Baby" over and over, he is so happy we are coming home.  I breakdown.  I'm hysterical on the phone, Steve is threatening to go all "John Q" and take me out home regardless of what the dr says.  Now the nurse come back in and says she called the dr and she said I can go home.  Ok, this is just all too much for me.  My head is spinning.  Steve and Dominick show up a little while later and we are all very eager to make our escape, it's now almost 9pm.  I was such a mess that I didn't even change Baby Eddie into his Coming Home Outfit that I spent months fretting over.  The car ride home was AWFUL.  Dominick next to the Baby trying to poke his eyes.  When that doesn't fly he decides he wants to throw a foot in the Baby's seat.  I try to reason with him, no go.  I try everything...nothing works and we both just end up hysterical in the backseat.  We pull up to our house and all I can think of as I cry my eyes out is "What is going on?" "This is not the homecoming I dreamed of"  That night didn't get much better.  Dominick was in rare form, he was as bad as he's ever been.  This is to be expected, of course, but we are both just so emotionally exhausted that it is amplified.  Nothing is certain at this point and all we can do is wait to see the Dr Monday.

Monday:  The Dr comes in, looks the baby over and asks if we have any concerns. . . um, yeah.  So we bring up the dreaded words that I can't even say.  He looks him over again and says he sees a few signs of DS and would like to order the blood test.  I mention that the nurse said it can't be done now, that he is too small.  Well, he was not happy to hear that.  He said she lied to me.  I'd like to believe that she was just misinformed, but that doesn't make it much better.  The important this is we can get the test done ASAP, as in NOW.  We leave the dr's office in shock.  Crying all the way home, pretty much crying for the next 10 days straight.  10 days.  That's how long we had to wait for the results.  This was Monday, we had to celebrate Thanksgiving not knowing and then still wait another week on top of that.  I spent these days in a fog.  I refused to do any online research, I didn't want to scare myself for no reason.  Let's wait for the good news then we can go on with our life without this weight on our shoulders and our hearts.  Every moment of the day felt like a week long.  I cried every night and tried to stay positive during the day for Dominick.  I didn't want him to see me upset, although it did happen a couple times. 

Thursday:  We drop off Dominick at Mama Mona's house, he has proven that he can not sit still in his stroller for more than 3 seconds and we just wanted to be able to get the results without having to worry about him.  Thank God for Mama Mona~!  We arrive early to the dr's office.  On our way in an adorable, bubbly little girl comes running down the corridor . . . she had Down Syndrome.  I turn and look at Steve and something in my heart broke.  I felt this was some kind of sign. We waited for the dr for what felt like hours.  When he came into the room my heart stopped and I looked down at my sleepy little Angel, all wrapped up in his blanky in nothing but a diaper - he needs me.  He needs me to be strong for him.  This is the moment that will define the rest of our lives.  Baby Eddie has Down Syndrome.  It's confirmed.  At first I am numb.  Then the dr starts talking about his other patients, one of them being the little 5 year old girl we just saw running toward us down the corridor.  He tells us we will need to start therapy as early as 6 months, if not earlier.  He tells us he has a few DS patients and each one varies in their strengths and weaknesses.  The 5 year old is his more "normal" patient.  She runs and plays and loves to go to the park.  He also has an 18 month old who can't hold his own weight.  Then there's the 13 year old who can't, or was it won't? speak.  We won't know what Eddie's strengths or weaknesses are for a long time.  There is no way to detect what this syndrome will effect.  This is the hardest part for me.  Until we know we have to treat him as normal as possible.  And he is normal, he's a newborn - itty bitty little boy who needs nothing more than to be fed, changed and loved.  That part I CAN handle.  Today we had an appt with the ENT, they could not get a reading on his ears because his ear canals are so tiny.  So for now we still don't really know how much he can hear.  We have to wait 3 months and hope it's just fluid that made him fail his first 3 tests.  The third test showed that he could hear from his right ear and about 50% from the left.  Today they say there was no reading in each.  I am hoping that it was again just that his canals are so little.  I mean, can you hear one day then not the next? Monday we go to the heart doctor to check his tiny heart.  I will hold my breathe until then - pray and cry and plea that there is no hole and no other complications.  I cannot bare the thought of my baby getting Open Heart Surgery like so many Down syndrome babies have to have. 

I have joined a DS board for support and it's been really good, but some days I just can't even read other peoples stories.  It makes it too real.  I am still very much in the middle of the process of acceptance.  I go thru so many emotions every day that I can barely keep up with myself.  Some days I am so overwhelmed with grief that I don't even want to get out of bed.  Then the next I feel like everything will be ok and I can do this.  I can, I know I can.  We can, together as a family.  I feel guilty for feeling sorry for myself.  I feel terrible for feeling like I was robbed of this dream I had.  My two boys - playing sports together, going to high school together.  I thought for sure they would be like twins.  All of that has been taken from me.  I know that the alternative, the reality of what my boys will be like together will be just as special, I know that in my heart...I'm just still in the process of letting that little boy go. 

The future for me right now is a scary place.  So scary that I can just lose it thinking about it.  So, for now I will follow the advice of many amazing friends and family.  One day at a time.  Concentrate on getting through today, tomorrow can wait. 

11 comments:

Mommy Tay said...

Robin. I am bawling reading you pouring this out. So beautifully written. I am sure it helps to put it all into words. I know that you know I'm here to listen. I wish I wasn't so far away and could be there to give you a hug and even just a distraction for a bit. You are a strong woman and an amazing mother, and you will do great at being just exactly what your two perfect boys need no matter what new challenges you face each day. Sending love and hugs all the way from Washington.

Anonymous said...

Robin, I want to say I'm sorry but I know God gives us things we can handle. I know you are an amazing mom and will be so strong for your sweet & adorable little boy. He is perfect and will always be perfect :) I'll pray for your family for strength. I can't wait to mee your little turkey baby!

Jen said...

Robin... I'm not sure if you know how close this hits home to me. I didn't even know until I was a teenager. Mark Vincent Bloomer, our older brother (younger than Jack), was born with Downs. Technology and modern medicine has come so far since then.

I've been looking at Eddie's pictures on Facebook and he is a beautiful little boy. Hopefully his hearing tests will come back with more positive results once he gets a little older.

I'm so very glad you shared this. Don't ever pile guilt on yourself for how you feel. Grief is grief and everyone handles it differently and in their own time. You will get through it and come out on the other side when it's right for you.

In the meantime, take care of yourself, take care of those precious little boys of yours, and know that we love all of you so very much and we'll be rooting for good things for Eddie.

kublacalfee said...

I just want you to recognize how strong you are! You are weeks into this journey and already you are sharing your birth story! That takes amazing strength and courage.
Your post made me tear up a bit. I too received a birth surprise, although ds was never mentioned during my pregnancy. The loss of the baby you expected and planed for is real, agonizing, raw. I remember it well.
I promise you that every day gets a little easier, every day you get closer to full acceptance. I'm one year in and I'm finally 99% okay. I don't think 100% is possible because there will always be days that are harder or moments that hurt your heart.
Big hugs and good for you! God bless you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Emotional honesty is a good thing! My LO with DS is mistaken for her sister's twin all the time :) Hang tough, Mama!

Anonymous said...

Robin: For some unknown reason God placed this very special little boy with you to nurture and love. HE must have great confidence that you will take care of HIS little man as HE watches him grow and develop. I, as well know you have the strength and conviction to give this little boy all that he needs to succeed and thrive in life, and he in turn will shower you will shower you with love and affection for years to come. Although, it's overwhelming right now, you will settle into a norm and together your beautiful family will help this little guy be all that he can be. I pray that over the next couple of months that you will see some improvement with his hearing and overall good health. With a mommy like you he can't fail. God Bless you all, Eleanor in Vegas

Jenn and Bryan said...

Robin, I wish I knew what to say & wish I had words to make it all better for you and steve. I truly believe things happen for a reason & this is one of them. God must of known that you have a lot of love in your heart and a lot of love to share for your little guy. You are an amazing person & I know you will be strong, loving, patient, and most of all the best mother ever! I know you will have you ups and downs, your hard days and easy days, but remember that is why you have your AZ family! We love you guys! Jenn and Bryan Rauzan

Laysha said...

Robin. Like so many others, I dont know what to say. This touched me in so many ways and I can not even imagine what you and your family must be feeling right now. Dominick and Eddie have such a strong willed, caring mother, and they are so lucky to have you. I am sorry for the not so lucky news you guys have received but I know you guys will get through this and live a beautiful life. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Loves.

Anonymous said...

Hey Robin! Just read your blog. It was beautifully written! I want to share a poem with you that someone gave me when I found out my little Ryan is autistic. It helped a bit. I keep it nearby for those days when I need a reminder. Maybe you have heard of it. It is called Welcome to Holland by Emily Perl Kingsley.It goes like this...
I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability-to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel.
It's like this...when you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip- to Italy. You buy a bunch of guidebooks and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.
After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland.".
"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."
Buy there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.
The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.
So you must go out and buy new guidebooks. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.
It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around....and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.
But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy....and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."
And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, go away.... because the loss of that dream is a very, very significant loss.
But....if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Igaly, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely thongs....about Holland.

Your baby is gorgeous and amazing...just like you! Savor every moment. Love you!
Laurie. :)

Sue said...

Oh Robin. I had no idea. I'm crying reading this. Big big hugs! Eddie is beautiful and perfect.

Traelee said...

Thank you for sharing your story with all of us. You did a great job conveying your thoughts and emotions. Your beautiful family is an inspiration of what love means. You'll stick by each other and make it through any obstacles that come your way. Children with DS can live wonderful and joyous lives. I know without a doubt that your beautiful son will because he has a mother like you.